Last Updated: July 8, 2022
NYU Langone Health (“we,” “our,” “NYULH”) is committed to respecting your digital privacy. This Privacy Statement applies to personal information NYULH collects through our websites: https://nyulangone.org, https://med.nyu.edu, and https://medli.nyu.edu (collectively, the “Websites”).
This Privacy Statement only applies to the Websites and does not apply to personal information collected offline or on any other apps or websites, including websites otherwise maintained, controlled, or related to us. This Privacy Statement does not apply to online services, including apps and websites, not maintained or controlled by us, including sites or online services you may access through links or embedded features on the Websites. Other online services may have their own privacy policies, which we encourage you to read before providing information on or through them.
Personal Information Collected Directly from You
When you visit the Websites, you may choose to submit personal information to us, and our vendors, such as by inputting your information to join a mailing list. We, and our vendors, may use that information for such purposes as fulfilling your requests for our information or services, communicating information that may be of interest to you, and conducting research surveys.
Online Tracking Technologies
The Websites may passively collect and store certain information, through a variety of tracking technologies, such as cookies and pixels, about your visit, such as data sent by your web browser, including the internet address of your computer (IP address), details about your web browser and operating system, demographics, and about your usage of the Websites, such as pages visited, length of visit, and search queries, geolocation, the URL that referred you to the Websites, the time of the visit, and other traffic data (including anonymous traffic data).
Types of tracking technologies we, and our vendors, may use:
- Functional, Necessary, and Performance: We, and our vendors, may use tracking to provide functionality to the Websites and help us deliver our products and services. For example, to help us route traffic between servers, retain user preferences, allow account log ins (including returning users), and understand how the Websites are performing.
- Analytics and Research: We, and our vendors, may use tracking to understand, improve, and research features and content on the Websites, including how users use the Websites and the content and products that users view most frequently.
- Location: We may use location-aware technologies to locate you, including as determined by your IP address, for purposes such as verifying your location and delivering or restricting content based on your location. Our Websites may be personalized to provide you with more location-relevant content.
- Social Media: We may allow you to use social networking sign-on services that allow you to register and access the Websites using your social media networking credentials. Additionally, even if you do not register on the Websites using social media credentials, communicating the Websites’ content to your social media account may be available, for example when you share the Websites’ content to your social media account while logged into your social media account. We may also use social media vendors to provide measurement and conversion tracking services, lead generation services, and provide you ads on your social media accounts through matched or tailored advertising. This may include social media vendors storing or accessing tracking technologies. For example, we may provide social media vendors, such as LinkedIn and Facebook, information such as contact and event information for matched advertising purposes only. Social media vendors may combine this information with information they collect through tracking technologies and through their own platforms such as your interactions on the Websites (including when you share the Websites’ content to your social media page) to provide you relevant advertising on their platform. Social media vendors differ in their practices, and may provide tailored advertising that does not include matched ads. For more information, refer to the social media platforms you use and their resources, including their opt out process. We do not control how social media vendors perform their services or how their opt out process works. For convenience, you may refer to some of Twitter’s practices here: https://help.twitter.com/en/safety-and-security/privacy-controls-for-tailored-ads, and LinkedIn’s practices here: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/62931.
- Security: We, and our vendors, may use tracking technology to enable security features and allow us to detect activity that might violate our rules and Terms, such as unauthorized access or activity.
- Marketing and Online Behavioral Advertising: We may use tracking technologies to provide advertisements on external-party online services, ad targeting, and preform cross-device tracking for advertising purposes. Certain external parties may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) AdChoices Program and may display an Advertising Option Icon for Interest-based Ads that links to an opt-out tool which allows you to exercise certain choices regarding targeting. You can learn more about the DAA AdChoices Program at http://www.youradchoices.com and its opt-out program for mobile apps at http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices. In addition, certain advertising networks and exchanges may participate in the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). NAI has developed a tool that allows consumers to opt out of certain interest-based ads delivered by NAI members’ ad networks. To learn more about opting out of such targeted advertising or to use the NAI tool, see http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices and https://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choice for its opt-out program for mobile apps. Please be aware that, even if you are able to opt out of certain kinds of interest-based ads, you will continue to receive non-targeted ads. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of, or compliance with, external-parties’ opt-out options or programs or the accuracy of their statements regarding their programs.
We may combine tracking technology information with other information we obtain about you, which may include data we obtain from external parties. We and external parties may collect personal information about your online activities over time and across different sites when you use the Websites.
Your web browser may have settings that allow you to transmit a “Do Not Track” signal when you visit various sites or use online services. Like many websites and online services, the Websites are not designed to respond to “Do Not Track” signals received from browsers. To learn more about “Do Not Track” signals, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
You may be able to opt out of certain tracking technologies, including from our vendors, as described above. We do not control these opt out processes and we recommend referring to the resources those parties provide to you for more information on their practices and opt out process. For example, for more information about how Google Analytics uses data collected through our websites, visit: http://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites. To opt out of Google Analytics, visit: http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. For more information about how Microsoft collects or receives information to provide Microsoft Advertising, including through DoubleClick tracking technologies, you may refer to the Microsoft Privacy Statement: https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement.
Disclosing Your Information
NYULH may disclose personal information we have obtained about you as described above with our affiliates, business partners, and vendors. For example, we may use service providers to help us operationally or to administer activities on our behalf, such as sending emails and performing analytics. In addition, we may also disclose your personal information obtained through the Websites (1) as permitted or required by federal and state laws and regulations; (2) in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business assets (e.g., further to a merger, liquidation, reorganization, or any other business transaction, including negotiations of such transactions); (3) when we determine that disclosure is necessary or appropriate to comply with law or legal process or to protect legal rights, property, or safety; (4) to enforce our policies; or (5) at your direction or with your consent.
NYULH has implemented reasonable physical, technical, and administrative procedures to safeguard and secure all information we collect online against loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under our control. Please note that while we always attempt to protect the security of your information, NYULH cannot guarantee the security of any information transmitted through the Websites.
Changes and Questions
We may modify this Privacy Statement in whole or in part at any time. Changes to the Privacy Statement are indicated by the “Last Updated” date at the top.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.