What to Bring for Your Hospital Stay
Whether you’re with us for an emergency or a planned visit such as surgery, helping you keep your personal belongings secure is our priority. If possible, we recommend that you leave your valuables at home or ask a family member or friend to take them home for you.
Below are recommendations for what to bring for your stay at NYU Langone’s Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, including information for maternity patients, or NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital. You can also learn what to bring for your stay at NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn.
What to Bring to the Hospital
When packing your bag, only bring the necessities:
- government-issued photo ID
- insurance card
- a method of payment to satisfy any deductible or copayment, as well as other fees incurred such as phone service in your room
- prescription plan benefit card, if you have one
- list of your current medications and their dosages
- a copy of your advance directive if you have one
- eyeglasses, dentures, and hearing aids
For Patients at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
In addition to the above list, the nursing staff at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital recommends you bring the following:
- loose-fitting, elastic-waist clothing to wear home
- sneakers that are easy to slip on and off in case you experience any swelling after surgery
For Maternity Patients
For women coming to Tisch Hospital to give birth, we suggest that you travel lightly. Much of what you need—such as a personal massager, feminine products, baby products, prescription medications, and over-the-counter medications—is provided by your care team. Ideally, everything would fit in a standard-size carry-on luggage bag.
Additional information is available for women giving birth at NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn.
Items we recommend you have with you for delivery include:
- your NYU Langone My Personal Birth Experience form
- lip balm to ease lip dryness during delivery
- comfort items such as music (docking stations are available for iPhones and similar devices)
During your hospital stay, you might want to have:
- your own pillow
- toiletries including toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and body lotion (if you do not bring these items, they are provided for you)
- comfortable shoes that are easy to put on, as your feet might swell during and after labor
- nursing bras and a nursing pillow, if you plan to breastfeed
If your partner is staying at the hospital with you, he or she should bring comfortable footwear, sleepwear, fresh socks, a change of clothing, and toiletries.
As you prepare for your newborn’s hospital stay, keep in mind that we provide everything your baby needs during his or her first days, including clothing, blankets, diapers, and formula, if needed. All you need for your baby is a going-home outfit and either a car seat if you are leaving by car or an infant carrier, such as a stroller.
What to Leave at Home
The hospital gives you many of the items you need during your stay, so there are certain items that we recommend you leave at home. They include the following:
- medications, which are provided by the hospital pharmacy during your stay
- CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machines for sleep apnea, but bring your masks as we can adapt them to fit our machines
- large electronic devices such as laptops, tablets, and portable video players
- large amounts of cash and jewelry, including wedding rings
- nicotine replacement products
NYU Langone campuses, buildings, and exterior spaces are tobacco-free, including electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and all other smoking devices. Smoking or the use of smoking devices is not permitted anywhere at NYU Langone, including your room.
Walkers and Canes
Patients at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital are encouraged to bring crutches, canes, walkers, and braces. At all of our other inpatient facilities, we recommend you leave these assistive devices at home.
Keeping Your Belongings Secure
While at NYU Langone, you are provided with a container labeled with your name to store your dentures, if needed. We encourage you to keep eyeglasses and hearing aids in a case with your name on it as well. Let your nurse or patient care technician know if you need help storing and securing your personal belongings.
Because you may need to leave your room for tests or treatments, please make sure your property is always secure. If you are getting ready to move to a new room, be sure that you have all of your valuables, clothing, and any other items you brought with you. Ask a nurse if you have all of the property that was stored for you.
If no one can take your property home, ask your nurse if your room has a personal safe. If not, ask your nurse to have your valuables stored in the hospital safe. You, or a person whom you appoint in writing, must claim your property within 60 days after discharge.
For additional information on how to secure your belongings during your stay, please contact the appropriate location:
- At Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, and Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street, please call the cashier at 212-263-5098 or security at 212-263-5038.
- At NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, please call the security office at 212-598-6202.
- At NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, please call the cashier at 718-630-7142.