At NYU Langone, volunteers provide essential social support to our patients, their families, and other visitors. Whether you’re interested in greeting and directing visitors or assisting with various other tasks, NYU Langone’s Volunteer Services can match you with the right opportunity.
Volunteer opportunities are available at the following locations throughout NYU Langone:
- Tisch Hospital
- Kimmel Pavilion
- Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street
- NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
- NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn
- Family Health Centers at NYU Langone
- many outpatient locations
Traditional volunteer positions do not involve providing or assisting in medical treatment. Opportunities to observe doctors and other providers are not available.
Age Requirements and Time Commitment
Volunteers must be at least 12 years old to participate in our Junior Volunteer programs or the Youth Advisory Council. All other volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
NYU Langone volunteers commit to a single 4-hour shift per week, for a minimum of 9 consecutive months. As a general rule, hospital volunteers are required to maintain a regular schedule, working on the same day, at the same time, every week. By the end, volunteers contribute at least 120 hours of service. Junior Volunteers ages 12 to 15 commit to 2 hours per month.
Summer volunteer opportunities are available to applicants age 16 and older who can dedicate 120 service hours over the summer months. Summer volunteers are asked to commit to a regular, weekly schedule of at least 2 shifts per week that last 4 to 6 hours each.
Placements are based on needs within NYU Langone and the availability of the volunteer. Orientations and interviews for summer volunteers are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis until all available positions are filled.
Applications must be received by March 31 for placement in that year’s upcoming summer program. In your application, please indicate that you are applying to be a summer volunteer and your dates of availability. Only volunteers being considered for interviews are contacted.
For more information about summer volunteering at NYU Langone, please contact the Volunteer Services department at the location of your choice.
Volunteers are placed according to the chosen location’s current needs, your availability, and program-specific requirements. Before you start, you must complete the Volunteer Services onboarding process. This includes a background screening, medical clearance, proof of influenza vaccination (depending on the time of year), and other compliance documents. There is also an orientation session for all new volunteers.
Volunteers fulfill the following roles at various NYU Langone locations. Programs take place at specific locations as noted:
- Volunteer navigators guide patients and visitors through the hospital and assist with the use of MyWall digital screens available in certain inpatient areas.
- Greeters provide information to patients and visitors.
- Child life volunteers assist with activities and socialize with children and families.
- Inpatient and outpatient unit volunteers perform numerous tasks, including providing comfort and compassion to patients and families.
- Emergency and immediate care department volunteers provide comfort and communicate updates to family members.
- Animal-assisted therapy is provided by certified volunteers from approved organizations.
- Nutrition and dietary volunteers distribute education materials.
- Initiative for Women with Disabilities volunteers work at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital.
- Volunteers for the Family Volunteer Project, Seniors in Touch, and Super Sprowtz Program serve at the Family Health Centers.
The application process can take 3 to 8 weeks. Please start by filling out an application. The appropriate contact information for each NYU Langone application is listed below.
We review all applications, but only contact applicants whose interests and availability best matches our needs. Interviews are required for all applicants. If you need to reschedule, please use the link sent to you via email.
Please contact the site of your choosing directly for any questions you may have regarding available opportunities or the application process:
- To apply for opportunities at Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street, and nearby outpatient locations, please fill out this application form. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-263-0756.
- To apply for opportunities at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital and nearby outpatient programs, please fill out this application form. For more information, please call 212-598-6020 or email email@example.com.
- To apply for opportunities at NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, please fill out this application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-630-7296.
- For summer volunteer opportunities, please fill out our online application.
- For physical therapy and occupational therapy observational volunteer internships, please submit an application.
- For nontraditional volunteer roles, such as externships, internships, and research positions, please email email@example.com.