Nonsurgical Spine Treatment
At NYU Langone’s Spine Center, we take a personalized and conservative approach to treating spine conditions. Most often, spine surgery is not necessary. Many conditions improve on their own over time or with nonsurgical treatment.
- physical and occupational therapy, including guided programs of strengthening and stretching exercises to improve mobility and relieve pain
- injections of pain management medications that alleviate inflammation around nerves or relieve arthritic joint pain, including epidural injections of steroids or other medications delivered by interventional radiologists
- medication taken orally, which may include steroids and other anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants, and pain relievers
- chiropractic treatment for chronic back pain or neck pain
- meditation, offered through integrative health services, which can relieve stress, anxiety, and pain
- acupuncture, which can prompt the nervous system to release pain-relieving endorphins
Our experts may also recommend lifestyle modifications to your daily routine that can help you reduce pain and increase your mobility.
When appropriate, our pain management team can provide pain pump implantation or dorsal column stimulation, in which electricity is used to relieve chronic pain caused by herniated disc, spinal stenosis, or spondylolisthesis.
We have Spine Center locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn and on Long Island. To make an appointment, call 844-698-2224.