Transition Services for Women with Disabilities
The Initiative for Women with Disabilities at the Elly and Steve Hammerman Health and Wellness Center helps those who are 14 to 32 years old as they move from adolescence into adulthood.
Transition services help girls and women to do the following:
- explore new ways to focus on health and wellness through diverse fitness and expressive arts classes
- develop a personal health and wellness plan
- meet new people and develop lasting friendships
- share concerns, feelings, and experiences with other girls and women with physical disabilities
- learn about and connect to resources in the community
The Young Women’s Program is specifically designed for girls and women 14 to 21 years old who have physical disabilities. Programming is offered after school in the spring and fall and throughout the summer. View our upcoming events.
Homework tutors and personal care assistance, as well as snacks and dinner, are provided. Sessions are complimentary, and public transportation or Access-a-Ride fees are reimbursed.
When participants turn 21 years old, they are invited to transition to our Empowerment Program. For more information, follow us on Facebook.
The Empowerment Program teaches strategies for daily living through participation in discussion groups and other wellness activities. The program is specifically designed for women 21 to 32 years old who have physical disabilities. Topics addressed in this supportive program relate to independence, employment, and self advocacy. View our upcoming events.