Nursing at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
Nurses at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital are among the nation’s leaders in shaping the future of nursing. Our culture supports and encourages the voice of nursing in all aspects of patient care delivery, and nurses participate in all organization-wide initiatives to ensure that patients and their families are at the center of all we do.
Across NYU Langone, our nurses drive exceptional patient care outcomes through their combination of clinical expertise, dedication, and compassion. Through our various educational programs, specialty certifications, awards, and advocacy efforts, our nurses prove their dedication to the health and wellbeing of our patients.
NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital Nursing Highlights
Our nurses are dedicated to implementing quality initiatives to help keep patients safe, while delivering the highest level of care. Recent quality initiatives include promoting bone health, improving the quality of sleep for people who have had a stroke or brain injury, and infection prevention.
Promoting Bone Health
Osteoporosis can severely impact the lives of patients. The nurses in our Ambulatory Care Specialty Clinic are dedicated to preventing osteoporosis and broken bones. These nurses have put in place a program that promotes strong bones for life and a healthy lifestyle to keep patients mobile and in their communities.
Improving Sleep Quality After a Stroke or Brain Injury
Sleep difficulties affect up to 78 percent of patients who have had a stroke or brain injury, and inadequate sleep can interfere with healing and recovery. The nurses at Rusk Rehabilitation are working to improve the quality of sleep for their patients to support their recovery and healing.
Preventing Infections and Keeping Patients Safe
Our nurses are committed to the safety of their patients, with many initiatives underway to reduce the risk of falls and decrease hospital infections. Our nurses have implemented the Fall TIPS (Tailoring Interventions for Patient Safety) Program, a fall-prevention tool kit. Nurses provide an individualized assessment and a care plan to meet the unique needs of patients and their families to prevent falls while hospitalized.
Our nurses also work with our patients and families to ensure good hand washing and infection prevention.
Nurses at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital are among the most highly educated in their profession. Professional registered nurses with higher degrees are more prepared to meet the complexity of patient care needs. In 2020, 95 percent of all registered nurses at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital held a bachelor’s of science in nursing (BSN) degree, and 9 percent of our nurses had a master’s degree or higher.
At NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, more than half of our nurses are certified in their specialty. Certification contributes to optimal patient safety and outcomes while advancing professional and personal growth, allowing nurses to deliver the best care to patients and their families.
Awards and Recognition
Nursing Excellence Awards are presented to nurses at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital each year during our Nurses Week celebration. We are proud to award the following:
- Nursing Excellence Award, which honors a nurse who consistently demonstrates a commitment to teamwork and the vision of the Departments of Nursing, participates in creating a healthful work environment, and serves as a mentor to other staff
- Evidence-Based Practice Award, which recognizes a nurse or group of nurses who have utilized published research to explore and implement the safest and best practice for patients and the practice environment
- Innovation Award, which recognizes a nurse or group of nurses who have implemented an innovative change in practice, in the work environment, or in the community
- Nursing Research Award, recognizing a nurse who has an approved Institutional Review Board nursing research study that contributes new knowledge to the nursing profession
- The Community Award, which recognizes a nurse’s contribution to the communities they serve
- Friend of Nursing Award, which honors a non-nursing colleague who demonstrates exemplary support for nurses and nursing practice
- Patient Satisfaction Awards for the most frequently recognized nurses and nursing staff by patients
We also recognize nurses who stand out as exemplary care providers and advocate for patient safety.
The DAISY Award recognizes nurses who provide extraordinary care to their patients and families. The nominations come from patients, families, peers, and fellow employees.
The DAISY Nurse Leader Award recognizes leaders who model caring behaviors and provide a setting where compassion is valued, and staff, in turn, treat patients and their families with care and respect.
Safety Star Awards honor staff members who make outstanding contributions to our culture of safety. These staff members are nominated by peers and managers for exceptional safety efforts and dedication on behalf of patients.
At NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, our nurses are active in professional organizations, advocating for patients, families, their communities, and our healthcare system. As members of the New York Organization of Nurse Executives and Leaders and the American Organization for Nursing Leadership, our nurses have taken part in the New York Organization of Nurse Executives and Leaders Lobby Day and the American Organization for Nurse Executive Leaders Advocacy Day.