Sports Gastroenterology Services
Gastroenterologists on the NYU Langone Sports Health team understand how uncomfortable and disruptive digestive issues like heartburn, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea can be for active people. Our experts diagnose the conditions that cause these symptoms and then create a treatment plan to help adults and children return to their sport or activity feeling great and performing at their best.
We’re ranked among the top 5 hospitals in the country for gastroenterology and GI surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Conditions We Treat
Our team members are part of renowned NYU centers and programs, including the Center for Esophageal Health, the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, and the Pediatric Gastroenterology Program. We work to diagnose and treat all gastrointestinal symptoms and conditions, from minor complaints to complex diseases, including the following:
- acid reflux, also called heartburn, as well as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- eosinophilic esophagitis, a condition that causes difficulty swallowing—food often becomes stuck in the esophagus, leading to heartburn
- gastritis, an inflammation of the stomach lining that causes bloating, pain in the upper belly, nausea or vomiting, and fatigue
- inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, in adults
- Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis in children
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- ischemic colitis—also known as runner’s diarrhea—a condition common in long-distance runners that causes pain in the lower abdomen, diarrhea, and blood in the stool during or after activity
Our experts take a comprehensive approach to gastrointestinal symptoms and conditions and use leading-edge diagnostic tools—including colonoscopy performed with computer-aided detection, or artificial intelligence—and the most advanced treatments available. These may include lifestyle modifications, over-the-counter and prescription medications, as well as biologic therapies.
For athletes and other active people whose condition is chronic or recurring, we create a personalized treatment plan with guidance about how to minimize its impact on your training and performance and ways to prevent recurrence.
Our team also helps athletes and other active people maintain their health by offering colorectal cancer screening.
Our Sports Gastroenterology Experts
Our experts work with athletes of all ages to improve their health and athletic performance.
Gastroenterology, Advanced Endoscopy