Our mission is to achieve a supportive and safe home environment for chronically ill children and their families.
The Pediatric Pulmonary Chronic Care Program, part of Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital at NYU Langone, offers nurturing and expert care to children who have chronic lung conditions. We work with all of your child’s healthcare providers to create a simplified treatment plan that addresses his or her complex medical needs.
Our program treats children diagnosed with conditions including cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, neurological impairments, muscular dystrophy, spinal muscular atrophy, a history of brain injury, as well as other conditions. We conduct inpatient sleep studies, and we are the only hospital in New York City able to provide this service to patients with tracheostomies.
You may consider an evaluation with one of our chronic care specialists if your child is experiencing any of the following:
- chronic cough or congestion
- frequent use of antibiotics for lower respiratory infections
- recurrent bronchitis or pneumonia
- suspected or proven aspiration
- weakness of the respiratory muscles
- noisy breathing, including stridor, which is caused by a blockage in the throat or voice box
- stertor, which is caused by a partial blockage of the airway above the throat
- scoliosis affecting the shape of the chest wall
- snoring in a neurologically impaired child
- recurrent wheezing in a neurologically impaired child
Our main focus is on maintaining a safe environment for your child by preventing illness, reducing hospitalizations and readmissions, managing your medical equipment needs, and coordinating your child’s treatment services.
If your child needs to be admitted to the hospital, we help your family get the training needed for home care before your child is discharged. We schedule all follow-up visits and set up nursing services and any necessary medical equipment before your child leaves the hospital to ensure a smooth and seamless transition into your home.
What to Bring for Your Visit
Please bring the following information to your appointment:
- a list of medications or medication bottles
- insurance card
- immunization history and family medical history
- information about your child’s chronic care management, including nursing care company contact information
- durable medical equipment information, including settings, supplying company, and contact information
Mikhail Kazachkov, MD
Program Director | Pediatric Pulmonology
Dr. Mikhail Kazachkov specializes in pediatric pulmonary medicine. He has dedicated much of his career to treating children with neuromuscular impairment and chronic respiratory problems, and is actively engaged in studying issues affecting this fragile population of children.View Full Profile
Kathryn Fitzgerald, DNP, CPNP, AE-C
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
Ms. Fitzgerald is a certified pediatric nurse practitioner with nearly 15 years of experience in providing expert care to chronically ill children with pulmonary disease. She is also a certified asthma educator.