Financial Assistance for Dancers
NYU Langone’s Harkness Center for Dance Injuries provides medical care to injured dancers who may not otherwise be able to pay for treatment. Care at our Dance Clinic is provided by physicians who donate their time and professional services.
Some costs may be covered by public or private sources. International students may also qualify for financial assistance.
Resources for Dancers During COVID-19
The following organizations and funds offer assistance to individual dancers and artists, organizations, or both.
- Alliance of Artists Communities Emergency Relief Programs
- American Guild of Musical Artists COVID-19 Resource
- COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources
- Dance/NYC Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Resources for the NYC Dance Community
- Dance/NYC COVID-19 Dance Relief Fund
- Dance/USA Resources Related to Coronavirus
- National Coalition for Arts’ Preparedness and Emergency Response Resources
- New York Foundation for the Arts Emergency Resources
- Rauschenberg Medical Emergency Grants
- The Dance Union NYC Dancers Relief Fund
Patient financial counselors are available to discuss any outstanding financial responsibilities not covered by insurance. We can help you apply for assistance from government programs or from our financial assistance program.
You can reach a patient financial counselor by calling 866-486-9847 or by visiting us in the lobby of the Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine at 560 First Avenue, Monday through Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM.
Special Assistance Fund
In 1997, the LuEsther T. Mertz Advised Fund at the New York Community Trust made a challenge gift to the Harkness Center for Dance Injuries to create an endowment that would ensure a long-term solution for providing dancers with access to healthcare when they don’t have insurance or other financial means.
Dancers with a proven financial need are eligible for support by this endowment if they complete an application and submit proof of income, savings, and expenses.
To find out more about the special assistance fund and to receive an application, please call 212-598-6054.
Medicaid Office Locations
If you are interested in seeing if you are eligible for Medicaid, a federal healthcare program for people who meet certain income guidelines, please view a list of office locations in the New York metropolitan area.