I became a physician because I love working with children, adolescents, and young adults. The things they do and say fill me with wonder, and the struggles children and their parents sometimes face inspire me to do my best work.
As a psychiatrist, I help children, adolescents, and their parents to manage a broad spectrum of mental health conditions, including mood and anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, disruptive behavior disorders, and sleep disorders, in addition to a variety of high-risk behaviors like drug and alcohol use, self-injury, and unprotected sex.
Every child and parent has a unique perspective and set of concerns. My job is to listen and learn from them, and then share the evidence-based strategies that I think will best help them. Some treatment strategies include psychotherapies, school and community-based interventions, medications, or a combination of all three. I am dedicated to the care of my patients.
I lead the educational efforts of the Child Study Center at Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital at NYU Langone—supervising the child and adolescent psychiatry residency training program, medical student education, and our weekly grand rounds conference. I developed and continue to direct one of the nation’s largest undergraduate college programs in child and adolescent mental health studies (CAMS), at the College of Arts and Sciences at NYU. Within CAMS, we offer nearly 50 unique undergraduate courses, in addition to a series of interventions, including rapid education in sleep training (REST) and the wellness initiative at NYU (WIN). Both of these programs incorporate randomized controlled research trials so that we can determine the best way to improve sleep among college students and enhance their general resilience.
Additionally, I have authored more than 100 articles, chapters, and published abstracts throughout my career, along with 3 books.
Conditions and Treatments
- Professor, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Professor, Department of Pediatrics
- Director, Undergraduate Studies in Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- Vice Chair of Education, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Child & Adolescent Psychiatry), 2003
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology - Psychiatry, 2001
Education and Training
- Fellowship, UCLA Medical Center, Child & Adol. Psych., 2001
- MD from SUNY-Downstate CollegeMedicine, 1996
- MPH from University of NC - Chapel Hill, 1988
Locations and Appointments
- Aetna POS (American Express Employer)
Blue Cross Blue Shield
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- WTC Health Program-HHC
- United Healthcare Choice (AMEX employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (CBS employees)
- United Healthcare EPO (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Indemnity (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Plus (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (Blackrock employees)
Research Academic Contact
1 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2019 May ; 58(5):474-477
Medical sciences (Basel, Switzerland). 2018 Feb 08; 6(1):
Journal of American College Health. 2018 Jan ; 66(1):41-50