I chose to specialize in psychiatry because of my keen interest in the emotional, cognitive, and behavioral workings of the brain. I care for and treat people whose mood, anxiety, or behavior symptoms interfere with their ability to function optimally.
Psychiatrists are like detectives. We ask a lot of questions and we probe. We don’t only talk to our patients—in my case, both children and adults—but also to the people in their lives. I talk to parents, grandparents, teachers, nannies, children, and spouses to get a detailed view of what is going in my patients’ lives. Only then can I get an accurate view of how I can help.
I also talk to other clinicians at NYU Langone’s Child Study Center. We have weekly conferences in which we discuss our evaluations and the treatments a patient is receiving. Each meeting is centered on one question: Are we doing what’s best for this person?
We look at what current evidence tells us is the best treatment option for the patient, and then we see if that option fits the person’s lifestyle, family, and culture. We each ask ourselves, “If this person were my family member, what kind of care would I want for him or her?”
In addition to seeing patients, I am currently involved in research focusing on adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I have also participated in research on autism and mood and anxiety disorders.
One of the most enjoyable moments in my day is teaching, and my trainees have presented me with a NYU School of Medicine Teacher of the Year Award for 2015. In addition, I am honored to consistently be on Castle Connolly’s “America’s Top Doctors” lists.
This provider accepts the following insurance plans.
- Aetna POS (American Express Employer)
Blue Cross Blue Shield
- BCBS EPO (BlackRock Employees)
- BCBS EPO (NYU Winthrop Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (NYU Winthrop Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- BCBS PPO (BlackRock Employees)
- BCBS PPO (NYU Winthrop Employees)
- BCBS PPO - Empire PPO (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- WTC Health Program-HHC
- United Healthcare Choice (AMEX employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (Blackrock employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (CBS employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (Viacom Employees)
- United Healthcare EPO (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Indemnity (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Plus (NYU Langone Health Employees)
1 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Psychopharmacology bulletin. 2018 Feb 05; 48(2):34-92
Psychotherapy. 2013 Jun ; 50(2):150-7
Journal of child psychology & psychiatry & allied disciplines. 2010 Aug ; 51(8):935-43