At the Child Study Center, part of Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital at NYU Langone, I work with children and families using a skill-building, problem-solving approach to treatment. Treatment is a collaborative process, and I use evidence-based methods to help children and their parents achieve their goals. I consider each child’s and family’s unique circumstances and environments when developing treatment plans, which may address issues related to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, oppositional or defiant behaviors, anxiety, depression, or parent–child interactions.
A particular passion of mine is working with children, adolescents, and their parents to develop and use organization, time management, and planning skills. On a typical day, I might help a third grader sort through and file a stack of papers that have formed an intimidating mass at the bottom of his or her backpack, negotiate a successful contract between a parent and teenager about homework expectations and associated privileges, or coach a sixth grader on how to fit homework, studying, extracurricular activities, and texting with friends into a weekly schedule.
I have co-authored two books on organizational skills training, one for professionals and one for parents. I also provide professional development to teachers and school guidance departments to enhance students’ executive functioning.
As part of the Child Study Center’s services, I offer home and school-based treatment to children and their families in lower Westchester County. By working with children in their homes and schools, I can help modify the environments in which they face challenges. I enjoy being able to demystify mental health treatment by bringing services into the home.
I love seeing the positive changes that result when children develop the skills and self-confidence to succeed in their daily lives and how those changes help to empower them, along with their parents and teachers.
Conditions and Treatments
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- organizational skills
- oppositional defiant disorder
- anxiety disorder
- parent training
Insurance Plans Accepted
This provider accepts the following insurance plans.
- Aetna POS (American Express Employer)
Blue Cross Blue Shield
- BCBS EPO (BlackRock Employees)
- BCBS EPO (NYU Winthrop Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (NYU Winthrop Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- BCBS PPO (BlackRock Employees)
- BCBS PPO (NYU Winthrop Employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (AMEX employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (Blackrock employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (CBS employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (Viacom Employees)
- United Healthcare EPO (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Indemnity (NYU Langone Health Employees)
- United Healthcare Plus (NYU Langone Health Employees)
Locations and Appointments
Research About Me
Dr. Spira provides home- and school-based treatment in lower Westchester County, NY.
Research Interests Timeline
The organized child : an effective program to maximize your kid's potential-- in school and in life
The organized child : an effective program to maximize your kid's potential-- in school and in life. New York, NY : The Guilford Press, . x, 206 p. ; 26 cm (3122322)
Organizational skills training for children with ADHD : an empirically supported treatment
Organizational skills training for children with ADHD : an empirically supported treatment. New York : The Guilford Press, 2014. (2414352)
Journal of literacy research : JLR. 2007; 39(4):471-501