COVID-19 Testing for Children
If you are concerned that your child has coronavirus disease (COVID-19), NYU Langone doctors can provide diagnostic testing, including a rapid antigen test.
We offer rapid COVID-19 testing, also known as antigen testing, for symptomatic children at certain NYU Langone pediatric care locations. With this option, your child can be tested quickly in the comfort and safety of a pediatrician’s office. This test is performed by using a nasal swab, and results are generally available within 20 minutes.
Symptomatic infants and children of all ages may receive this test. COVID-19 symptoms in children include fever or chills, cough, congestion or runny nose, loss of taste or smell, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, body aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat, and nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
If your child is exhibiting any of these symptoms, please contact your child’s pediatrician to determine if an in-office visit for rapid COVID-19 antigen testing is recommended. Because COVID-19 has many of the same symptoms as the flu, your child’s doctor may also recommend rapid flu testing.
As part of NYU Langone’s COVID-19 safety protocol, our pediatric practices have designated times of the day for sick visits and require all children over the age of 2, and their caregiver, to wear a mask. We ask that only one caregiver accompany the child to the doctor’s visit.
Pediatric Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Testing Locations
Rapid COVID-19 antigen testing is available by appointment only for new and existing pediatric patients at the following NYU Langone locations.
- NYU Langone Global Pediatrics, 1559 York Avenue
- NYU Langone Medical Associates—Washington Square, 555 LaGuardia Place
- NYU Langone at Trinity, 111 Broadway, Fourth Floor
- NYU Langone Slope Pediatrics, 60 Eighth Avenue
- Sunset Park Family Health Center at NYU Langone—Second Avenue, 5610 Second Avenue
- NYU Langone Huntington Medical Group, 180 East Pulaski Road, Suite E1-100, Huntington
- NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island Pediatric Center, 175 Fulton Avenue, Suite 100, Hempstead
- Village Pediatrics, 1000 Franklin Avenue, Suite 100, Garden City
- NYU Langone Pediatric Associates—Mineola, 222 Station Plaza North, Suite 611, Mineola
COVID-19 Testing for Children Without Symptoms
Children who do not have symptoms of COVID-19 but are at risk of infection due to possible exposure can receive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) diagnostic testing. PCR testing, which is required by many school districts, can be scheduled at one of our testing sites located at Tisch Hospital, NYU Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, and NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island.
To schedule a PCR test, contact your child’s pediatrician, who can order the test through your child’s NYU Langone Health MyChart account. Results are available within one to two business days.