At NYU Langone, I perform all types of adult cardiac surgery and specialize in treating people who have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and coronary artery disease.
We are one of only a handful of medical centers in the country with a specialized program—the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Program—that meets the needs of people who have been diagnosed with this condition. As director of the program, I bring years of experience to the medical and surgical treatment of people who have this condition. I perform myectomy, the surgery for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, as well as simultaneous mitral valve repairs when necessary.
I also specialize in a procedure called total arterial revascularization, which restores the blood supply to the heart in people who have coronary artery disease. Like many cardiac procedures, this type of surgery is complex and requires a team approach.
I work closely with anesthesiologists, critical care physicians, and other specialists—some of the most caring people I have ever had the privilege of working with. Together, we provide personalized care to each person.
My team and I also study the development of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in order to better understand how we can help our patients. We are currently conducting stem cell research in the hope of finding a possible cure for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Conditions and Treatments
- coronary heart disease
- aortic valve disease
- mitral valve disease
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- minimally invasive surgery
- Associate Professor, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Surgical Director, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Program
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery - Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery, 1998
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Hackensack University Medical Center, Cardio-Thoracic Surg, 1987
- Residency, Albert Einstein Montefiore Medical Center, Cardio-Thoracic Surg, 1986
- Residency, Saint Lukes Roosevelt Hospital, Surgery, 1984
- MD from Rutgers State University of NJ, 1979
Research Academic Contact
530 First Avenue
Skirball, Suite 9V
New York, NY 10016
Research Interests Timeline
Echocardiography. 2019 01 ; 36(1):47-60
CASE : cardiovascular imaging case reports. 2018 Dec ; 2(6):243
Anticoagulation and Antiplatelet Strategies After On-X Mechanical Aortic Valve Replacement
Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2018 June 19; 71(24):2717-2726