The following message was sent over email to our patients on Friday, May 1, 2020. For ongoing updates about safety during the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, please see information on our safety measures.
We want to make sure all of our patients know that NYU Langone doctors are available for essential in-person appointments, testing, treatment, procedures, and surgeries.
It’s understandable that there might be concern about coming to a doctor’s office or a hospital right now. Rest assured that we have put in place strict safety procedures to protect our patients.
Frequently Asked Questions About In-Person Appointments
We’ve gathered answers to frequently asked questions about what to expect when you visit an NYU Langone doctor’s office or hospital.
Is my doctor’s office open?
Most NYU Langone practices remain open to care for our patients with essential healthcare needs. Some of our specialists are temporarily seeing patients at different locations.
I need to see a doctor in person but I’m concerned about being exposed to COVID-19. What are you doing to protect patients?
Please do not risk your health by delaying care. Here’s what we are doing to keep our patients healthy during their visit:
- All NYU Langone providers and staff have been tested for COVID-19 and wear masks and other appropriate protective equipment.
- All patients are screened for COVID-19 symptoms before arriving for their visit.
- All providers, staff, and patients are screened for COVID-19 symptoms at the entrance of practices and given a temperature check with a “no-touch” thermometer.
- All patients are required to wear a mask or face covering.
- Social distancing measures will be enforced if there are patients in waiting areas.
- All of our sites are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized throughout the day.
Learn more about how we’re helping keep you safe in our facilities.
Are you still offering video visits?
Yes. Video visits are still a good option for our patients who prefer to have a video visit, or who may not require diagnostic testing, lab work, or treatments. We are also offering video visits to patients who are new to NYU Langone. If you aren’t sure whether you need an in-office visit or a video visit, you can contact your doctor’s office.
My child is due for a well visit, including some vaccinations. Are in-person pediatric appointments available?
Yes. We encourage you to stay on schedule with your child’s well visits, especially those that include vaccinations. Our pediatricians also continue to offer video visits to children of all ages.
I postponed a procedure earlier this year. When can I reschedule?
Please contact your doctor to discuss timing for your surgery.
Is it safe to come into the hospital for surgery or to have a baby?
The hospital has strict procedures in place for surgical patients, and it is still the safest place to have a baby:
- Providers and patient-facing staff have been tested for COVID-19 and are screened for symptoms, daily.
- Our hospitals have separate units for COVID-19 positive and COVID-19 negative patients.
- Patients scheduled for surgery are tested for COVID-19 ahead of time.
- Laboring mothers are tested for COVID-19 upon admission; their designated vistor is screened for COVID-19 symptoms every 12 hours.
- To reduce time in the hospital, mothers with uncomplicated deliveries are discharged within 24 hours.
Is it safe for me to come to the emergency room?
If you are experiencing symptoms of a stroke, heart attack, or any another emergency: Please do not risk your life out of fear of exposure to COVID-19. Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room to seek immediate care.
NYU Langone has four emergency rooms in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Long Island, all of which have separate areas for patients coming in with COVID-19 symptoms.
What is the best way to make an appointment?
- Find a doctor and schedule an appointment online.
- Log into your NYU Langone Health MyChart account or use the NYU Langone Health app to schedule an appointment with a member of your care team.
- Call your doctor's office for scheduling assistance.