LVAD Services for Referring Physicians
For patients with symptoms of heart failure that limit their quality of life, NYU Langone’s Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Program offers a complete evaluation for all advanced cardiac therapies, including ventricular assist devices, heart transplantation, and surgical and percutaneous alternatives for complex valvular heart disease.
The following clinical signs and symptoms should prompt physicians to refer patients in a timely manner for evaluation:
- inability to walk one block or up a flight of stairs without stopping
- intolerance of previously tolerated doses of beta blockers or ACE inhibitors
- any heart failure hospitalization within the last six months
- multiple ICD shocks in a symptomatic patient
- high doses of furosemide (>1 mg/kg) to maintain euvolemia
- nonresponse to CRT therapy
For additional information or to refer a patient, please call 855-NYU-LVAD.