Trauma can have devastating consequences on a child’s life—consequences that may not be obvious to parents, teachers, or other caregivers. In my work, I try to understand the impact of traumatic events on children and their families, and then help them to recover.
I created Trauma Systems Therapy to teach other mental healthcare professionals how to diagnose and treat children following traumatic events. The program addresses a child’s emotional needs and social environment, and I am proud to see it being used to successfully treat children throughout the country and around the world.
Millions of children struggle with mental health problems. At NYU Langone’s Child Study Center, we are dedicated to helping these children and their families, because we believe we can improve their quality of life and help them live to their fullest potential. Our clinical team treats children and families dealing with a range of emotional, behavioral, and developmental problems. Our researchers strive to understand these problems and develop better treatments.
Together, our clinicians and researchers create some of the most innovative training programs in the country, so the next generation of professionals can address the needs of the children we are dedicated to helping.
Conditions and Treatments
- Professor, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology - Psychiatry, 1993
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Cambridge Hospital, Child & Adol. Psych., 1995
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital, 1993
- Residency, NA, Psychiatry, 1992
- MD from McGill University, 1988
Locations and Appointments
- Aetna POS (American Express Employer)
Blue Cross Blue Shield
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire EPO (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (NYU Langone Employees)
- BCBS EPO - Empire NYU Care (Sunset Park/Family Health Center Employees)
- WTC Health Program-HHC
- United Healthcare Choice (AMEX employees)
- United Healthcare Choice (CBS employees)
Research Academic Contact
1 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
PLoS one. 2018 05 ; 13(2):e0191582
Trauma responsive child welfare systems. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; Switzerland, 2018. p.87-104. (3213912)
Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. 2017 Aug ; 56(8):639-641