I wear two hats at NYU Langone’s Rusk Rehabilitation. In my clinical practice, I treat patients recovering from stroke and traumatic brain injuries, as well as people with neurological conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, and brachial plexus injuries. In my research, I investigate how neurological injuries affect motor skills in the upper extremities.
These focuses complement each other—my research improves treatments for my patients, and treating my patients inspires new research questions. For example, I often help people regain the use of the hand on the side of the body affected by stroke. This fuels my research work into how stroke affects hand and finger function, which subsequently allows me to improve treatment for my patients.
I also specialize in rehabilitation for people who have musculoskeletal problems in their upper extremities. This may include hand or arm pain resulting from overuse. My work often involves helping people relearn how to move, because hand and arm motor skills are influenced by the way other supporting body parts are activated.
Conditions and Treatments
Show More Conditions
- Associate Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Vice Chair for Research, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
- Director, Division of Motor Recovery Research
- American Board of PM&R (Brain Injury Medicine), 2014
- American Board of PM&R - Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 2003
Education and Training
- Residency, Montefiore Medical Center, Rehab Medicine, 2002
Locations and Appointments
- Empire BC/BS
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthplus
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthy NY
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Indemnity
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield POS
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Pathways, Enhanced
- UnitedHealthcare EPO
- UnitedHealthcare HMO
- UnitedHealthcare POS
- UnitedHealthcare PPO
Research My Research
International journal of physical medicine & rehabilitation. 2017 Apr 28; 5(3):?-?
Annals of physical & rehabilitation medicine. 2017 Mar 15; 60(6):363-370
Frontiers in neurology. 2017; 8:12-12