Medicine has intrigued me since I was a young adult. I was inspired by both the intellectual challenge of the field and the rewarding nature of helping people in need. Coming from a family of doctors and medical professionals also gave me access to the world of medicine—a world that continues to grow, evolve, and satisfy my curiosities.
I initially became interested in spine surgery as a specialty when my father had multiple procedures for the treatment of recurring lower back problems. Seeing the immediate, positive results of surgery inspired me to specialize in the field.
I keep up with recent advancements in spine surgery—offering less invasive procedures and surgical techniques that preserve range of motion—while delivering the highest level of care to patients. I always aim to perform the least amount of surgery that offers the best possible long-term outcome.
I work with a team of talented specialists who are dedicated to restoring patients’ quality of life. In everything we do—from treatment to research—our patients’ interests come first.
My clinical research focuses on treatment outcomes for adults who have degenerative conditions of the spine and conditions that cause life-altering deformities. More than 80 of my research publications and findings have been presented at national and international conferences.
Conditions and Treatments
Show More Conditions
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Vice Chair Clinical Affairs NYUHJD
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - Orthopaedic Surgery, 2008
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Surgery (Spinal), 1995
- Residency, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Orthopaedics, 1994
- MD from Mount Sinai School Of Medicine, 1989
Locations and Appointments
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Indemnity
- Aetna Medicare
- Aetna POS
- Aetna PPO/EPO
- Cigna EPO/POS
- Cigna PPO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield EPO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Indemnity
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield MediBlue
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield POS
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield Pathways, Enhanced
- HIP Medicaid
- HealthSmart (WTC)
- Local 1199 PPO
- Oxford Exchange
- Oxford Freedom
- Oxford Liberty
- Oxford Medicare
- United Exchange- Compass
- Visiting Nurse Service (VNS) Medicare
- Workers Comp
Ninety-day readmissions after degenerative cervical spine surgery: A single-center administrative database study
Akamnonu, Chibuikem; Cheriyan, Thomas; Goldstein, Jeffrey A; Errico, Thomas J; Bendo, John A
International journal of spine surgery. 2015. 9: 19-19
Unplanned hospital readmission after surgical treatment of common lumbar pathologies: rates and causes
Akamnonu, Chibuikem; Cheriyan, Thomas; Goldstein, Jeffrey A; Lafage, Virginie; Errico, Thomas J; Bendo, John A
Spine. 2015 Mar. 40 (6): 423-428
Does aspirin administration increase perioperative morbidity in patients with cardiac stents undergoing spinal surgery?
Cuellar, Jason M; Petrizzo, Anthony; Vaswani, Ravi; Goldstein, Jeffrey A; Bendo, John A
Spine. 2015 May. 40 (9): 629-635